20200831 DHW0552Over the years we've got keen on changing Arethusa's wheelhouse to be more in keeping with her age, so at 102 she's undergone some cosmetic surgery :)

We lost 8" inches of headroom in wheelhouse when we installed the Gardner, so we've gone up in height 6 inches and forward 8 inches and gone for more traditional upright windows fw'd.

Boat builder John Gander did the job in his Waipiro Bay workshop. He started by taking patterns off the existing wheelhouse and fw'd cabin top. He replicated the curve of the fw'd cabin top in ply and built the new wheelhouse around that in six sections. He also laminated the new wheelhouse roof, allowing for a good eyebrow fw'd and a smaller one aft.

John learned his trade at Roger Carey's yard in Picton in the 60's and 70's, where beautiful workboats with great looking wheelhouses were the order of the day. John built one of my favorite Carey designs, Hinewai for his own boat and we've replicated her fw'd opening half window on Arethusa. 

Once the wheelhouse was complete, we hauled Arethusa at Ashby's in Opua and got to work with the skillsaw. In no time we'd reduced her to a convertible. We were lucky for Northland's drought everything stayed reasonably dry and also that we got everything closed in and back in the water before Covid shut the yard down.

I'm in awe of how boat builders can build something like this away from the boat, then fit the pieces with a minimum of shaping. Fitting and gluing the six sections to the existing house went really smoothly.

The wheelhouse is built from 2" Iroko. This is the first outside varnish we've had on Arethusa, we handbrushed 2 coats of Cetol as a base and six coats of Schooner Yacht Varnish

Over lockdown, the apprentice made new interior joinery, gone are the Warehouse plastic drawers and chipboard frame :) Moved the batteries under the new bench unit so we can now stand at the wheel. John laminated me up some lovely curved trim for the front of the oven unit. Our old manky plywood dash got an upgrade to kauri and the old wheel got a fright with a good scrub and a varnish.

Outside we made nav light boxes and dorade boxes.  We had to move the aluminium framed front hatch fw'd, a more traditional looking one in Iroko is on the to-do list. The liferings also got a birthday.

Here's some before and after pics and also some that I hope will give some idea of the process. Thanks John for all your incredibly skilled design and build work, we're really stoked with it.

We're always keen to learn more of Arethusa's history, especially the 1955-2000 period in the South Island. If you have any stories we'd love to hear them.

 

russell forest 9

russell forest 10

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 3

russell forest 2

sailing

20190715 DHW1529 Edit

commercial fihing mode

as we bought her 1

timber on trailer

side rails

wheelhouse framing

gkuing scarfed ply

laminating

roof glued up

glassed up

roof trailer

hauled at ashbys

fitting up

top chopped

 

the remains 

side sections glued

forard sections

taking shape

roof hiab

lid on

 wheel

 liferings

interior joinery

ocd parts storage